The Carol P. Huebner Preschool opened in September 1994. The Boxborough Early Childhood Program opened in 2002. As the Acton and Boxborough Public Schools regionalized for the 2014-2015 school year, we joined our two exceptional early childhood programs. For the 2016-2017 school year, our program continues to be located in two sites. Children living in both communities may apply and may attend school at either site based on space availability.
We are an integrated early childhood setting and provide a local, inclusive, standards-based, learning environment for young children. Some children learn in a typical manner and others have special education needs. This is a developmentally-based early childhood program that provides each child with the opportunity to learn and grow at his or her own pace. It is a fun place to play and learn for all children involved! We encourage and welcome parent involvement.
- All children can be successful.
- All children can learn and develop.
- All children learn and develop at their own pace given their unique learning styles.
- All children learn through active exploration of their environments.
- All children learn through interaction with peers and adults.
- All children need a nurturing, predictable environment in which to grow and learn.
- Play is the foundation of a child's learning and development.
- All children learn best in an "inclusive," child-centered, developmentally appropriate environment.
- The role of adults is to support and facilitate each child's learning.
Early Childhood Services
The Acton-Boxborough Regional School District Early Childhood Services include:
- Observations, consultations and preschool screenings.
- Direct service and consultation to meet the educational needs of individual children.
- Comprehensive Preschool Program.
- Program for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
- Preparation and assistance with transition to Acton-Boxborough School District.
- Consultation with parents and staff working with children in area preschools.
- Collaboration with others serving young children and their families through the Acton/Boxborough/Littleton Early Childhood Advisory Council, First Connections, and Minute Man Early Intervention Program.
- Referral, consultation and monitoring of schools and other agencies that provide services to young children with special needs, as necessary.
All children of preschool age will participate fully in a learning environment within their community.
In the Early Childhood Program, each class is taught by one Lead Teacher, supported by Assistants. The number of staff in each class depends on the number of students and the learning needs of children.
Our program model uses integrated therapies. The Speech/Language Specialists, Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists and Occupational Therapy Assistants work in collaboration with the teaching team to provide therapy services throughout the school day. Most therapy takes place in the classroom setting, with the therapists working along side the teachers. All children benefit from the presence of the additional staff in class. It enhances the learning for all and increases the staff-to-student ratio.
Joseph Gibowicz, Early Childhood Coordinator
| Carol Huebner Early Childhood Program
15 Charter Road
Acton, MA 01720
978 264-4700 x 3948
493 Massachusetts Ave
Boxborough, MA 01719
978 264-4700 x 3948